May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month, and our friends at Premier Dermatology want you to make prevention your goal!
Still looking for the right sunscreen for your skin or lifestyle? The staff at Premier Dermatology can help, so stop by any Premier location or visit www.premierderm.net to find out more. During the month of May, you’ll save 20 percent at Premier Dermatology on all sun protection products – sun hats, sunscreens, cosmetics with SPF. Some of our favorite products are the EltaMD® UV Clear Broad Spectrum SPF 46 Non-Tinted, which is so lightweight on your skin, and the HydroPeptide® Solar Defense Body spray that has an amazing passionfruit scent!
Not all sun protection is created equal, so learn the facts from the experts at Premier Dermatology:
Use Broad Spectrum SPF
- “Broad Spectrum SPF” means the sunscreen protects you against harmful UVA (rays that age your skin) and UVB rays (rays that burn your skin). “SPF” alone only protects against UVB rays.
Read the Active Ingredients
- Look for physical ingredients first. Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide physically block harmful rays by reflecting them off your skin. Other chemical ingredients (like avobenzone and octinoxate) absorb the UVA/UVB rays as a method of protecting the skin.
Choose the Right SPF
- Contrary to popular belief, a higher SPF rating doesn’t provide significantly better sun protection. However, a low SPF rating does not provide good enough protection and must be reapplied more frequently. Premier dermatologists recommend Broad Spectrum SPF 30-35 for most skin types.
Know How Much & When
- Apply a golf-ball-size amount of sunscreen to your body.
- Apply a teaspoon amount of sunscreen to your face.
- Reapply every 2 hours when exposed to the sun.