Yesterday kicked off Eat Healthy Month for the American Heart Association! The goal is to make healthier food choices easier, which is something we could all use help with. To do our part, we’ve selected our top five 3W-approved healthy & easy recipes, courtesy of Pinterest of course. Wrangle your friends and family together and test out these recipes on them, and tag us in a photo of your masterpiece!
This is the closest you can get to having Chipotle in your very own home! And best of all, the recipe only takes 30 minutes!
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Cooked rice
- Taco toppings; shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, cheese, avocado slices, olives, guacamole, sour cream, tomato, salsa, lime wedges, etc.
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium high heat, cook the ground turkey with the salt & pepper until cooked through and no longer pink, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Drain.
- Add the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, and flour. Stir the mixture constantly for 1 minute while it cooks. It will be crumbly (that’s ok).
- Slowly add the beef broth, a little bit at a time, while whisking to let it thicken up. Add in tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling add the black beans and corn.
- Turn heat to medium and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with rice and taco toppings for delicious burrito bowls.
- 2 Chicken Breasts, sliced in half, or 4 thin chicken breasts
- 8 Tablespoons butter, divided
- ½ cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- ½ cup plus 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan, divided
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt 2 Tablespoons butter. To make the chicken: Melt remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and flour. Dip the chicken in the butter and then coat in the bread crumb mixture and place in skillet.
- Cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes until the outside is crispy and the chicken is cooked throughout. Set aside on plate.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of butter back to the skillet and saute the minced garlic for a minute. Add the zucchini to the skillet and saute until tender. Salt and pepper to taste and add some 1 Tablespoon parmesan. Add the chicken back to the skillet and heat for a minute or so. Serve immediately.
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup roasted green chilies canned, divided
- 2 1/2 cups white beans (2-15 oz canned)
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock divided
- 1 1/2 cups corn (15 ounces canned)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Line a small baking sheet with foil. Turn on broil setting on the oven. Evenly space out the three jalapeños on the sheet tray. Place sheet tray on the highest rack in the oven. Roast the jalapeños until the skins brown and blister, turning over as needed to get all the sides roasted, about 15 minutes. Place the roasted chili’s in a small bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow the chilies to come to room temperature; the trapped heat will make the skins easier to peel. Once cooled, remove the skin and stems. If you like a very spicy chili, leave the seeds, for a more mild chili remove the seeds and discard. Set the jalapeños aside.
In a large microwave safe bowl add olive oil, diced onions, minced garlic, and cumin. Stir to combine. Microwave for 3 minutes, stir and cook another 2 minutes until onions are tender. Add to slow cooker. Add chicken breasts, ½ cup of the roasted chilies, corn, 1 cup of the white beans, ½ cup chicken stock to the slow cooker.
In a blender, puree ½ cup roasted green chilies, roasted jalapeños, 1 cup beans, and ½ cup chicken stock until smooth, 45 seconds. Add to slower cooker. Add salt and pepper to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, low for 6 hours.
Remove chicken and shred or cut into cubes. Add back to slow cooker and stir to combine. Taste chili and season with more salt and pepper as needed. Serve chili with toppings as desired.
For all you gals that claim the only thing you can make is reservations, don’t worry, we’ve got healthy eating tips for you too! Below are our favorite healthy restaurants around NWA.
- Crazy Pear
- Greenhouse Grill