The NWA Mercy Family YMCA is encouraging parents to help keep their kids physically active and mentally engaged by signing them up for the Y’s Day Camp beginning Tuesday, May 28 through Monday, August 12. Summer is a critical out-of-school time when children and teens can benefit from enriched learning, new experiences and making new friendships. Parents can pick and choose the weeks their children attend throughout the summer.
“YMCA Day Camp is a safe program that allows kids to be active, meet new friends and learn the true meaning of play, as today’s youth believe that play includes an electronic device,” Youth and Family Director Ashley Herrington said.
Day Camp provides exciting and educational camp programming for children and their parents such as Camp Kick-Off, All Stars Sports Week, Color War Week, Mad Scientist Week. And, to ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, the NWA Mercy Family YMCA offers financial assistance to those in need.
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for more than 125 years. The Mercy Y continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring qualified staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character. According to Y camping experts, there are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of fun adventures and new experiences, and especially exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child. Visit www.ymcanwa.org for details.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day and resident camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While being away from the routine back home, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges.
- NEW FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and campfire stories) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
For more information about NWA Mercy Family YMCA, visit www.ymcanwa.org or contact Ashley Herrington at 479.273.9622.