Who is our favorite wine-loving local? Cheryl Long, co-owner of Sassafras Springs Vineyard & Winery, of course!
Cheryl and her husband Gene opened Sassafras five years ago in Springdale. Sassafras features nine wines under its label. Cheryl says they currently have “three varietals of wine on hand that we made from fresh grapes in our production building and six that we make from West Coast grapes.” Along with their own wines, Sassafras also has 100 wines from around the world. The winery offers wine tastings, wine classes, live music, pizza and salads daily, and wine walks. It is also available to rent for parties, weddings and fundraising events.
Sassafras also has its own wine club. There are two membership levels for Sassafras Wine Club: $25 per month for one bottle and $45 per month for two bottles. Along with a monthly bottle or two of wine, members receive an invite to a wine party every month, free wine tastings and a special invitation to two dinners per year.
Cheryl’s favorite part of co-owning Sassafras is meeting all the wonderful people who visit for special events or for a beautiful day and experience. She also loves the grounds at Sassafras and the construction and creativity of each event.
Cheryl has lived in Arkansas all her life, and she and her husband now actually live just behind the winery in the Bridlewood Subdivision, which they developed. Cheryl and Gene have been married 19 years, and they have five children, three “children in loves,” and seven grandchildren.
When she’s not at Sassafras, Cheryl is likely spending time with family or traveling. Cheryl and Gene have traveled to every state in America and to 20 countries!
We asked Cheryl 13 questions to find out a little more about this wine-loving world traveler.
13 with 3W
- Favorite wine? Pinot noir
- Beach or mountains? Mountains with the beach 🙂
- Dancing class or cooking class? Dancing. Gene and I start every day dancing with each other.
- Brownies or cookies? Cookies, oatmeal raisin specifically
- Sweet or savory? Sweet and savory
- Early bird or night owl? Early bird
- Roller coasters or ferris wheel? Roller coaster
- Best trip you’ve ever taken? Mediterranean Cruise
- Diamonds or pearls? Diamonds
- Heels or flats? Heels, especially in my younger days
- Red or pink? Red
- Sunrise or sunset? Sunrise
- What makes you smile the most? My family