Hermine Wilkins just celebrated the 19th anniversary of the opening of DogWatch Doggie Day Care & Boarding.
She and her husband Ric opened DogWatch in November 2000.
“When we opened our doors in 2000, I know many people thought we would never make it. We wanted to bring the Ritz Carlton of dog boarding to NWA,” Hermine says. “We have been blown away at how this industry has grown and feel that we have been an intricate part of the pet industry grown in NWA.”
DogWatch has locations in Fayetteville and Bentonville. Along with being a co-owner of DogWatch, Hermine takes on the roles of secretary, HR, dog trainer and more. She was born in Virginia, but was in an Air Force family, so she she moved around a lot. She went to high school in Albuquerque and moved to Fayetteville for college, and she’s been in NWA ever since. She has been married to Ric for 36 years, and they make their home in Fayetteville with four Weimaraners.
She has been the director of the Arkansas Weimaraner Rescue for 20 years, and is also involved with the Humane Society of the Ozarks. DogWatch fosters many of the HSO dogs. She also serves on committees for the Weimaraner Club of America.
For fun, she likes to show her dogs in Agility and Conformation competitions.
We asked Hermine 13 questions to find out a little more about this dog-loving lady.
13 with 3W
- First pet? As an adult, a black cat named Kitty
- What makes you smile the most? Spending quality time with my dogs
- What’s the best way to decompress? Shopping
- Brownies or cookies? Cookies
- Favorite song? “In The Air Tonight” by Phil Collins
- Biggest pet peeve? Employees using cell phones at work
- Favorite movie of all time? “Doctor Zhivago”
- Quote that inspires you? Live each day to its fullest.
- Best trip you’ve ever taken? The Grand Canyon
- Most proud moment? Getting a Master Agility Championship title on my dog Blaze.
- What makes you laugh no matter what? Ellie, my dog.
- Best advice you’ve ever received? Stay positive.
- Sweet or savory? Sweet
For more information about Dogwatch, visit www.dogwatchonline.com.